Silver Lake
Sand Dunes
Our Jeep
The Other Woman
4x4 Links
Click here for a larger View
This is the CJ7, parked for the winter. As you can see, we got a little snow this year(2004).
Anyway, with a little 4WD motivation, we got the Jeep out of the snow and inside the garage.
As you can see, the old reliable 258 was inside the Jeep here....
And here, it's coming out of the CJ7. We just undid everything and tried to remember which wires went to the important places (coil, starter, alternator and battery!) After the swap, there are a lot of wires under the hood that just aren't needed. After we pulled the motor, it became really necessary to pull the front clip too, since we had so much work to do around the frame. So we undid the fenders and grille, and away with the front clip. We also dropped the tranny and transfer case, mostly because the CJ was leaking some tranny fluid. The stock motor mounts came out eventually.
While this is not for the timid and non-welding Jeeper, small block motor mounts can be built fairly easily and a whole lot cheaper than they cost to buy. The Novak conversions chevy motor mounts inspired ours, if you go to their site they have a lot of information on the small block swap, too. What we did was take an old style chevy motor mount plate (the part that bolts to the side of the block) and use it as a template to drill the holes in a piece of quarter inch steel. Then a piece of 2" X 3" tube was cut at a 45 degree angle to make the body of the motor mount.
We left the motor mounts very long - they were to be trimmed afterwords, so that they would not hit the fenders. Anyway, after the fabrication of the motor mounts, we used a scrap chevy block as a dummy motor and put it in the CJ7 as a mock up. The bellhousing we used was an Advance Adapters part, it adapts a chevy small block to a T-4 transmission. We used a little information from the Novak Conversions site to align and angle the mock up. The stock CJ7 clutch linkage had to be ground down to fit on the chevy block. We ended up with the motor about an inch and a quarter out of center between the frame rails and the block was tilted toward the rear a little, both for oil drainage and because we wanted the new motor mounts above the framerails. The actual motor mounts bolt to a pair of angle iron pieces bolted to the framerails.
Somehow we didn't snap a picture of those.

The motor for the Jeep came out of a 1965 Chevy 4x4 (WHICH IS FOR SALE!!!!) that Mike had bought. The engine was suposedly out of an "early 70's Nova". We ran the numbers after we took it out of the truck and turns out that the engine was in a 1976 Chevy truck. When we took it apart we found that the crank had been knife edged and balanced. We basically took it down, and replaced all the seals. We checked the bore and stroke, they are stock 350 (3.48 stroke and 4.000 bore). The heads on the motor were not matching and the rocker arm studs were half stripped, so we swapped in a set of 1.72 heads off of a 1976 Chevy 400 (And yes these were stock heads off of a 400 in a 1976 Blazer, they can be the smaller 1.72 heads). The heads got a port and polish job. The intake is an aluminum Holley Contender (port matched to the heads). The carb is an Edelbrock 1405 (manual choke / 600 cfm). The clutch and pressure plate from a 1976 chevy truck will work, but the throwout bearing is a different size, so you have to use a jeep throwout bearing.

The motor and the tranny and transfer case were mated while we had them out of the CJ, this made things a LOT easier. The whole assembly was then slid in the Jeep and bolted in. We ran the motor Monday March 1st, 2004.

Web Design by